It’s time to admit it- you probably don’t spend half as much time caring for your nails as you spend caring for your hair or perfecting that cat-eye eyeliner. There are many ways to care for our nails, and one of the best ways is to care for our hands and feet entirely.
1) Soak your hands and feet before you start your nail routine; after the shower is the best time. Use warm water, add Epsom salt to help alleviate any pain and add a couple drops of lavender essential oil to add to the pamper experience.
2) Exfoliate hands and feet regularly. Wash away dead skin cells that make skin look dull with your favorite exfoliator. While you can use an exfoliator on your feet, skin on the feet is so rough it’s best to use a pumice stone to grind away with.
3) Moisturize after cleansing and sanitizing. Soaps and hand (especially) sanitizers strip essential oils from the hands. Using a moisturizer brings luster back to hands and nails. Careful with hand sanitizers, they make nail polish chip faster!
4) Use cuticle oil routinely to keep nail beds well moisturized. This really helps with pushing back the cuticle.
5) Hand creams and foot creams were made specifically to deliver beneficial ingredients to these parts of the bodies. Don’t underestimate the value of specific lotions for different parts of the body.
6) Always use a base and topcoat when painting nails. The base ensures a smooth, flawless application and the top coat seals that polish in to guarantee at least a couple extra days of a fresh manicure before polish starts to chip.