Filmed at the historic Warner Theater in Washington, DC, the program honors recipients of the 28th annual Hispanic Heritage Awards. Honorees include celebrities, physicians, scientists, educators, innovators, public officials and community and business leaders selected by the Hispanic Heritage Foundation.
The awards, established by the White House in 1987 to commemorate the creation of Hispanic Heritage Month in the U.S., are considered among the highest honors for Latinos by Latinos and recognize notable Latinos who have had a positive impact on America and the world in various fields.
In 2015, the legendary Rita Moreno will host this special evening which is the country's highest award paying tribute to Latinos by Latinos. The evening includes live performances and appearances by some of the country's most celebrated Hispanic artists.
The 2015 Hispanic Heritage Awardees and Medallion-level sponsors are:
· Director Robert Rodriguez for Vision, presented by Hershey’s
· Musician Arturo Sandoval for Arts, presented by Southwest Airlines – The Official Airlines of the Hispanic Heritage Awards
· Healthcare Provider Maria Gomez for Healthcare, presented by CVS Health
· Singer Ana Gabriel for Legend, presented by Hilton Worldwide
· Scientist Dr. Vladamir Alvarado for STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math), presented by ExxonMobil
· The White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics for Education, presented by Target
- Hall of Fame Pitcher Pedro Martinez for Sports, presented by Univision
- And Singer Becky G will receive the Inspira Award as a special recognition for serving as a role model for youth in the public eye
“The Hispanic Heritage Foundation is proud to partner with Target, PBS and all our sponsors to honor yet another visionary group of Latino leaders with the Hispanic Heritage Award and share our cultural pride, accomplishment and great promise with all of America,” said Jose Antonio Tijerino, President and CEO. “We are also excited about the great line up of performances led by the incomparable Rita Moreno. The evening will certainly be entertaining, meaningful and inspirational.”
The Hispanic Heritage Awards are produced by Nouveau Productions, INGEÑUITY and the Hispanic Heritage Foundation.
The Hispanic Heritage Awards serve as a launch of HHF’s award-winning, year-round programs which inspire, identify, prepare and position Latino leaders in the classroom, community and workforce to meet America’s priorities in the STEM, finance, education, media, and innovation fields. HHF is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization. For more information on the mission and work of HHF, visit www.hispanicheritage.org.