According to the US Department of Health and Human Services, acne can be triggered by hormone changes in puberty and adults, medicines, make-up, and family history and more. Many acne triggers are difficult to reverse, but a step that everyone can take is a change in your diet. Crystal Wellman, a Master Aesthetician and owner of the Crystal Clear Acne Clinic, lists 5 foods to avoid if you’re acne prone.
“A lot of people don’t realize that it’s what they are eating that is causing their acne,” affirms Crystal Wellman, a Master Aesthetician and owner of the Crystal Clear Acne Clinic. “By changing a few foods that you eat, you can hydrate and improve your skin while avoiding breakouts.”
Here are five foods to avoid when fighting acne:
- Salt. Too much salt can dehydrate your skin, leading to swelling and it makes it more difficult for your skin to heal acne. Nuts are a perfect change. They contain Vitamin E, copper, potassium, calcium and iron to improve your health and skin.
- Bread and Refined Grains. Bread, refined grains and foods that are high-glycemic spike your blood sugar, causing a burst of hormone insulin, which leads to an increase of breakouts and acne. Brown rice is a great alternative, rich in vitamin B and protein. Vitamin B acts a stress fighter and regulates hormone levels.
- Shellfish. Shrimp, crab and lobster are high in iodine, which leads to clogged pores and acne. Instead, try fish, which contains fatty acids like omega-3 and omega-6 to improve your skin.
- Milk. Dairy products, especially skim milk contains bioavailable hormones, stressing your skin and leading to breakouts. Instead, try broccoli contains health building properties like Vitamins A, B, C, E, and K.
- Alcohol. Alcohol dehydrates your skin, highlighting wrinkles and preventing your skin from healing. Avocados are rich in Vitamin E, reducing skin inflammation and naturally moistures your skin.
“Simple changes in your diet can produce a significant change in your complexion,” affirms Wellman. “It’s a feasible step that anyone and everyone can take to control of your acne.”