The excitement over last week’s show-stopping debuts at the 2014 New York International Auto Show isn't over. We thought we’d seen it all during press days, but Lexus saved the best for last, delivering a huge surprise with the North American reveal of the all-new Lexus NX. The brand’s debut compact crossover is slated to hit the U.S. market in Fall 2014, and today through April 27, you can hurry over to NYIAS catch a glimpse of the NX in person!
We spoke with Lexus Product Training Director, Doug Herbert, and got the breakdown on what you need know about this groundbreaking debut:
- The "N" stands for Nimble and the "X" represents the crossover capabilities. Its designed to be a vehicle that's fun to drive.
- The anticipated buyer is a younger section of the crossover market. Fans who like the feel and the styling of the IS, but need and want a little more room.
- The NX model debut marks the brand's first entry into the luxury compact crossover segment and is the first turbo in the lineup.
- The sharply-styled NX will be offered in naturally aspirated and hybrid powertrains.
- The U.S. market will offer the NX 200t turbo and NX 300h hybrid, and the NX 200t F SPORT will also be available with unique exterior and interior features.
- Both the NX 200 and 200 SPORT are on display at the Javits Convention Center, and visitors will be the first in North America to view the vehicle.
The Lexus LF-NX concepts, originally introduced at the 2013 Frankfurt and Tokyo Motor Shows, influenced the striking design of the NX. The production version of the NX was developed to have more agility than a SUV, plus a bold, eye-catching exterior with its low profile and unique roofline. The all-new model debuted in Beijing this past week, appearing at NYIAS on April 20.