Always a constant in a woman’s hair repertoire, it now seems the ponytail is more of a hot trend than staple look. Curl driven, soft and wavy ponytails were spotted on a plethora of runways at New York Fashion Week over the last few days. From the looped and tucked tails at Carolina Herrera to the embellished ponytail twists at Derek Lam, locks in favor of ponytails were clearly polished, playful, setting the stage for hair trends in 2012. Morgan Willhite, Creative Director atOuidad offers her expertise to replicate these runway inspired ponytails for curly girls nationwide.
“The best part about ponytails is that they are low maintenance yet they look high fashion. Although they are a great option for most hair types, they are especially attractive on curly hair,” says Willhite. Ponytails can be fun or sophisticated and the only requirement is that your hair is at least medium length. “All you need is a touch of the Ouidad Clear Control pomade, a few sprays of the new Frizz and Fly Away Fighter and a hair elastic to make this trend work for you,” says Willhite.
Morgan’s Tail Tips
- Brush your hair with a comb or the Ouidad Double Detangler ($24 at Ouidad.com) and apply the OuidadClimate Control Gel ($22 at Ouidad.com) throughout the hair to reduce frizz
- Put an elastic band around your right wrist and hold your hair in your left hand; with your right hand brush the hair back smoothly; curly hair tends to be dry, so spray a bit of water to keep it damp as you work
- Open the hand holding the hair as you brush the hair through; smooth out the front adding Ouidad Climate Control Gel to control curls
- Use your left hand to slide the elastic off your right wrist and onto the base of the ponytail
- Let some curls escape the ponytail for a romantic look
- Try a loose ponytail if you have thick curly hair
- Apply the new Ouidad Frizz and Flyaway Fighter ($22 at Ouidad.com) to the finished look to help reduce frizz and keep the flyaways tamed